Friday, June 4, 2010

Are you a Christian counselor?

Being a Social Work Psychotherapist I was trained in the bio-psycho-social model which latter became the bio-psycho-social-spiritual model.

I have continued to have an interest in spirituality in human experience.

Last week, a person called and stated she wanted to make an appointment with me if I was a "Christian counselor".

If she is intending to use her health insurance to cover her visits with me, I don't think that they want to pay for "Christian counseling" although she probably has coverage for outpatient mental health treatment.

I have been reading James L. Griffith and Melissa Elliott Griffith's wonderful book, Encountering The Sacred in Psychotherapy, and I will be writing a series of articles on spirituality in psychotherapy.

The Griffiths ask

"How does a clinician respond when a person claims that a direct communication from God warrants placing self or others at risk for harm? How does one work with a person in psychotherapy whose religious convictions advocate hatred or violence toward others? How does one converse with a person about religious practices that are coercive or controlling? How does one respond in psychotherapy to a person when it is apparent that her religious zeal is alienating important people in her life, contrary to her expectations?" p. 18

My answer is "carefully."

Dealing with religious and spiritual issues is like dealing with cultural issues. The therapist needs to understand the world view of the client.

I have worked in psychotherapy with Christians of all denominations, Jews, Buddhists, Wiccans, Atheists, and Native Americans. It is one of the reasons I find my profession so fascinating as I get an inside glimpse of experiences of various perspectives.

Paul Pearsall, the neuroimmunological psychologist says that no therapist should try to work in psychotherapy with a client until he/she understands how the client will answer these three questions: Why was I born? What is the purpose of my life? What happens to me when I die?

My caller looking for a "christian counselor" didn't ask me if I was a Christian, she wanted to know if I could understand her and help her. I think I can and as I learned later I have in the past as she is a former client of mine.

This is article #1 in a series on Spirituality in Psychotherapy.

1 comment:

  1. Im a Muslim social worker and have often contemplated how I would feel if a client refused to work with me because of my religion. Sometimes its good to talk with a hesitant client and bring up doubts or concerns they may have in reference to my competence as a social worker and religion. I would try to make the client realize that these two things are separate and although I may dress differently I am here to help them (the client) and would try to work through any biases or stereotypes the client may have. In the end if they are still uncomfortable I will know I tried my best and would have no problem if they wanted to work with a colleague.

    ReplyDelete