
I just finished watching the fifth season of Weeds.
It was painful.
It is dark satire, but a little to close for comfort for someone who works in the field.
Is Nancy Botwin a good mother?
The rest of the characters are sociopathic in such a way that morally outrageous behavior becomes comedy.
We laugh.
It is funny because it is just a TV show.
In real life, it's disasterous.
The show is so cynical it would take a very mature viewer to not be negatively affected by it's satire so that one didn't think that the behavior of the characters was in some way OK.
There were 13 episodes in 30 minute segments and I could not usually watch more than one at a time because the evil, while funny, was banal and I found it tedious.
I did finish the season though and would not recommend the show unless you are a serious student of pop culture and wanted to see how our decadent society is mirrored in our popular culture.
We watch a show like Weeds and see our Middle Class antics mirrored back to us and it is not funny at all. It is appalling really.
I don't recommend Weeds to anyone but a serious student of our modern culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment